Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Is there Life after Death


Recently I had a mother visit me at my funeral home.  We had buried her young son just two years earlier.  Experiencing the death of your child is a horrific experience.  My client, now my friend, had also lost her husband just three months prior to the loss of her son.  One can only imagine the pain and anguish through which she has lived. 
Her question, “Is there life after death?” surprised me.  We had discussed on multiple occasions her belief in an afterlife.  As she continued, I realized her question was about her own life.  My friend was asking if there would ever come a time when she would experience life as she had before, with joy, love, and security.

Her question is insightful.  The experience of loss can become so overwhelming that we forget how to recognize joy and perhaps become fearful of its experience.  We may feel uncomfortable in social situations and withdraw from societal encounters.  We may feel afraid to experience love again and barricade ourselves from its rapture.  These are normal fears and emotions.
Life will never be the same for someone who has lost their child, their life’s companion, or anyone of significant value.  Such a love loss will never be forgotten nor overcome.  Life has changed and eventually you will be able to make adjustments to cope with it.

My friend’s experience was tragic, but most likely, she will one day be strong enough to allow love and joy to re-enter her life.  She might be a little more guarded, a little more cautious and a little slower to trust, but if she takes care of herself emotionally and spiritually, things will get better.  I already see it happening.

Through such an experience, we wonder if there will ever be an end to our sorrow.  We may feel there is no hope.  My dear friend, there is hope.

So, is there life after death?  For the living, indeed there is. 
My name is Tracy Renee Lee.  I am a funeral director, author and freelance writer.  It is my life's work to comfort the bereaved and help them live on. 

Please follow my blog at http://pushin-up-daisies.blogspot.com/ and Twitter account  @PushnUpDaisies,  visit my website  www.QueenCityFuneralHome.com or read my book “Pushin’ Up Daisies”  for additional encouragement and information.