Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Too Few

I rose from my bed early this morning, suffering from a night of poor rest, due to uncomfortable rumblings in my tummy. I went to my recliner. Not wishing to disturb my husband’s sleep with the noise of the television, I grabbed my iPad and began searching the internet.
It is interesting how early morning reflections take your mind to places you do not expect. This morning, my mind wandered as my fingers typed, and I found myself at a friend’s blog. His last entry was November 11, 2012. He died just 30 days later, December 11, 2013. I read his writings, and as I did, I began to miss my friend, profoundly. Preston was such an honest person; his whole life was transparent and literally an open book. He was a writer, and I find evidence of his incredible talent all over the internet. His blog is filled with his personal thoughts and experiences, and reading it brought stinging tears to my eyes and a deep ache to my heart.
I miss my friend so deeply, and I wish I had known he was going to die prematurely. The truth of life, however, is that we do not know when our loved ones will die. We simply live our lives until we, or they, are gone. The secret of life is living it as though every moment might be your last. Do not waste your time counting moments and accomplishments. Make your moments count by molding this world into something better for those whom you leave behind. That is how my friend Preston lived his life.
Preston was a Gulf War Veteran, newspaper editor, novelist, Wikipedia contributor, and literary mentor. He was kind, respectful and honest, but most of all, Preston was a friend that inspired others to achieve better than their best. He was bold and would fight the good fight for those who were weaker than he, and he did it because it was the right thing to do, rather than for personal gain.
Through the years, as Preston called and visited, I would tell him of my admiration, my appreciation and my love for him. Now that he is gone, I long for one more conversation. I yearn to be able to say, “Preston, I cherish the blessing that brought you into my life.”
The world has too few Prestons.
My name is Tracy Renee Lee. I am a funeral director, author and freelance writer. I write books, weekly articles and brief tips on understanding and coping with grief. It is my life's work to comfort the bereaved and help them live on.
Please follow my blog at http://pushin-up-daisies.blogspot.com/, follow me on Twitter @PushnUpDaisies and visit my website for additional encouragement and information atwww.QueenCityFuneralHome.com.