Monday, December 8, 2014

Angel of Mercy


Do you have a friend who is angelic and sometimes wish you could be more like her?  I have a friend like that. Her name is Wendy.
Wendy and I have been friends for more than twenty years. Most of those years have been geographically long distanced, but our friendship remains steadfast. Both of our husbands worked for governmental agencies that do not consider relocation of duty stations as disruptive for families. So, her family has gone one way and mine has gone another.
Wendy is so amazingly unique that once she has touched your life, your heart never forgets nor lets go of the new cheer she has brought. Knowing her changes your outlook on life and permanently lifts your spirits. She is kind, talented, funny, concerned, generous and possess many additional graces, too vast to list.
The past several years have been difficult for Wendy. Her health has suffered tremendously; her children have all gone off to college and careers, and most recently she has nursed two very close relatives, her dad and her aunt, through the end of life.
I don't know how she did it. Her father died nearly two months ago. She was there, day in and day out, helping him through his weakest moments until he drew his last breath. She left her home; her family and her employment to bring him the comfort and support he needed to leave his life behind. She gave up so much, and he gave up everything.
As soon as her dad's services were accomplished, Wendy rushed back to her dear aunt's bedside. She had transferred back and forth between multiple states caring for her dad and her aunt as they both suffered end of life ailments for nearly two years. I don't know where her strength came from. Now that her dad was gone, without taking a few days off for herself, this angel of mercy immediately dove back into total care for her aunt, three states away.
Her aunt died last week, and now, Wendy is traveling back to her home, another three states away. Her journey has been temporarily disrupted due to heavy snowfall in the northern United States. I emailed her yesterday, asking for help with an issue that requires her particular talent and skill set. I expected her to write back that she would get to it after a month or two of personal recovery.
Not at all. My dear friend Wendy, who has not been home for nearly two years, has nursed two close family members through their deaths, has suffered severe health issues and is returning home to an empty house (if she can get through a snow covered state), wrote back that she is searching for a computer to borrow so that she can accomplish my request. Now that is an amazing woman, an amazing friend, an amazing daughter and an amazing niece.
I do not know what this next year holds for my dear friend Wendy. She has suffered extreme loss. She will grieve the compounded losses of her father and aunt. She will grieve the emptiness of her home without her children. She will grieve the loss of her better health, and she will grieve the loss of her employment. One thing she will not grieve is the love and admiration of her appreciative and devoted friend. I hope that I can help her through her grief recovery. I hope she can rely on me in her moments of despair and rock bottom loneliness. I hope I will be able to be a source of recovery for her.
Do you have a friend who is angelic and sometimes wish you could be more like her?  I hope my dear friend Wendy has a friend like that. I hope her name is Tracy.
My name is Tracy Renee Lee. I am a funeral director, author and professional speaker. I write books and weekly bereavement articles related to understanding and coping with grief. I deliver powerful messages and motivate audiences to "Make Life Right". It is my life's work to comfort the bereaved and help them live on.
Please follow my blog at http://pushin-up-daisies.blogspot.com/, follow me on Twitter @PushnUpDaisies and visit my website for additional encouragement, information or booking speeches at www.QueenCityFuneralHome.com.