Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Texting Kills

Funeral Directors are strong people. They work day after day with families in crisis, blocking the emotional and psychological impact of these crisis' from affecting their own struggles in life. Every once in a while, however, a particular family will reach into the depths of your soul and rip your heart in two.
I served a family today, that broke through that barrier. As I entered the cemetery, I was surprised at a cluster of children's graves. I saw the decedent's grandmother walk up to the cluster and drop to her knees. Surrounded by these tiny graves, she reached out and tenderly touched each one as she bellowed sobs of despair.
I was burying her grandson today. He was her fifth grandchild being buried within this cluster of tiny graves.
As the Pastor offered words of comfort, tears streamed down my face. I could not quell the anguish within my heart for this suffering grandmother and her family. Each of her grandchildren died from SIDS or cancer except for her grandson being buried today. This grandson was a little older than the others. He was old enough to drive, and while driving, decided to text. This sole decision prematurely robbed him, his parents and his grandmother of his life, his future and their happiness. Even worse, his accident caused the death of the man in the car he hit.
I don't know how this grandmother will ever recover from burying five grandchildren in one year. I don't know how anyone recovers from so much loss. My prayers plead for her comfort and recovery.
As I directed this tragic funeral today, I inwardly contemplated, "Is there any text so important that you would trade your life for it?" I could not think of one. Texts are more of a convenient method of communication rather than a necessary one. Please consider the consequences and never text while driving. Although you may decide there is a text worth trading your life for, you are putting other innocent drivers at risk who may not be ready to die for your text message.
Funeral Directors are strong people. Every once in awhile however, a particular tragedy reaches into the depth of your soul and rips your heart in two. Today was such a day for me.
My name is Tracy Renee Lee. I am a funeral director, author and professional speaker. I write books and weekly bereavement articles related to understanding and coping with grief. I am the American Funeral Director of the Year Runner-Up and recipient of the BBB’s Integrity Award. I deliver powerful messages and motivate audiences toward positive recovery. It is my life's work to comfort the bereaved and help them live on.
Please follow my blog at http://pushin-up-daisies.blogspot.com/, follow me on Twitter @PushnUpDaisies and visit my website for additional encouragement, information or booking speeches at www.QueenCityFuneralHome.com.